How can I host numerous websites using IIS on a single EC2 Windows Server instance?
You can host numerous websites in IIS on the same EC2 Windows Server instance, if you have multiple websites. In order to do this, IIS uses Bindings, which are a mix of the protocol type, IP address, port, and hostname to distinguish various websites. However, you must specify a hostname to avoid IP and port conflicts.
Steps to host numerous websites using IIS
To configure the IIS server on your instance to host numerous websites, please follow the steps below:
- To begin with, ensure that the IIS is installed and configured on the instance.
- Obtain the IP addresses of the EC2 Windows Server instance using the Amazon EC2 console.
- Then, using Remote Desktop Protocol, connect to the instance (RDP).
- Open IIS Manager and choose the site to which you wish to add a host name in the Connections pane.
- Select Bindings from the Actions window. Edit it and then click on OK after entering a name in the host name field.
- To view the website locally from the IIS server, update the host’s file using the host name
- Using the Run as Administrator option, open a text editor, and then open the host’s file in the C:Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory.
- Save the file after entering the EC2 instance’s Private IP address and the host name of your website.
- Repeat Steps 4 to 6 for each additional website.
Using the private IP address, you can locally access your websites via the host’s file, on the same EC2 Windows Server instance .
You can add the public IP address to your public hosted zone using your DNS host provider or Amazon Route 53 for public access.
At Velan, our server support engineers can help to install and configure IIS on your AWS EC2 servers. If you would like to avail our services, please fill our Quick connect form and get in touch with us.